While Wikipedia is credible and makes our lives all a lot easier because of its accessibility, how do we know that it is approving accurate information. We give people too much trust through the internet because we all assume they are their to help us, but this isn't always the case. In the Gifting readings all of Wikipedia would be considered gifts to society because people are posting information for our use while we give them nothing in return. This benefits us, but it doesn't really benefit the gifter. Yes, the gifter feels better about themselves theoretically with page views and popularity, but why do people feel the need to change information. This is the only problem I have with Wikipedia and its credibility, is so much has been changed and is constantly needing to be changed, I come to ask myself, what are the true facts.
When people share their posts on social media I still think that it belongs to them, but I think the more important question is why do they share it if they know it has the opportunity to be stolen or claimed by someone else. Social media is full of theft, hypocrisy and bad people yet we still offer up everything we post online to these people. I think that the benefit of the people we care about sharing things with outweighs the negative outcomes of having ideas stolen. Why do we care so much about what we post and who sees it? What determines some of us to put our accounts on private and others to leave them public? We have kind of developed altered senses of feelings through our social media, because in real-life we would never want to be robbed or have something stolen from us, but when something is stolen from us online it becomes less of an issue.
No comments:
Post a Comment